The client’s objective was to rehabilitate the P50/1 between Ermelo and Morgenzon and to reinstate the existing road that exhibited failures in the form of potholes, surface and structural failures, to an acceptable structural and riding quality.
The road pavement deteriorated to such an extent that the motorists had to drive on the side of the road beyond where the surfacing was.
The project entailed the upgrading of existing road consisting of the following main work items:
- Improvement of the vertical alignment to allow for a 100km/h design standard.
- Widening of the road to allow for 2 x 3,7m surfaced lanes, 2 x 600 mm surfaced shoulders and 2 x 2,4 m gravel shoulders.
- Providing for auxiliary lanes (climbing lanes) at steep gradients.
- Milling and construction of a 300mm in situ stabilised sub-base layer and construction of a 150mm G1 Base.
- 40mm AE-2 Asphalt overlay with rolled in chips.
- Drainage improvements.